Prairie Trails Public Library District offers twelve Dell laptop computers to be checked out by adult patrons and used within the library. Laptops can be checked out from the Circulation desk.
Laptop Checkout Procedure
- Laptops may only be checked out by cardholding PTPLD patrons.
- Laptops are for use only in the Prairie Trails Public Library and cannot be removed from the building at any time.
- Laptops may be checked out for a maximum period of four hours. Laptops will automatically power down after four hours. If no other patron is waiting to check out a laptop at the end of this time period, a borrower may extend their checkout time by two more hours (this must be completed by Circulation staff). No borrower may check out a laptop for longer than eight hours per day. Exceptions to this rule may be made at the discretion of Circulation staff on a case-by-case basis.
- Audio or video files must be played with headphones.
- Borrowers must return the laptop to circulation staff when they are done using it.
- All files will be erased from each laptop at the end of the day.
- The Prairie Trails Public Library is not responsible for damage to any removable drive (i.e. CD or flash drive) or loss of data that may occur due to malfunctioning hardware or software.
What’s available on library laptops?
- Internet browsers: Google Chrome and Firefox
- Library databases: FirstSearch, Ancestry Plus, Grolier, and many more.
- Microsoft Office 2016: Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel, and Access.
- SWAN library catalog
- USB ports
- Headphone jack
Instructions for use
- Ask any staff member at the circulation desk to check out a laptop.
- Circulation staff will scan your library card and check out the laptop to your account. The the laptop may not leave the library building.
- To log into the laptop, enter your library card number and PIN when prompted. If you do not know your PIN, ask a Circulation staff member for help.